Although the Poles love savory filled crepes, the sweet crepes, also called Nalesniki, can be found in many Polish restuarants as their top dessert item. In this Polish dessert crepe recipe, you can prepare the sweet farmer's cheese filling and then mix it with fresh fruit or jam. Or, follow the fresh berry sauce recipe below as a warm topping with whipped cream. Bananas, blueberries, or any fruit go well with this nalesniki, making it a light dessert crepe. Put all the toppings on the table and everyone can make their own nalesniki so it becomes a fun breakfast or dessert treat!
Sweet Cheese & Fruit Crepe Recipe (Nalesniki z serem i owocami)
Nalesniki Sauce (Fruit Sauce):
HOW TO MAKE NALESNIKI (CREPES) RECIPE
1. Batter: prepare batter for crepes first. Mix all ingredients in a blender for 3 minutes. Cover and rest for 30 minutes while preparing the crepe filling.
2. Nalesniki Filling: Mix farmer's cheese with rest of ingredients except fresh fruit. Chop fruit if needed and set aside.
3. Make crepes: mix nalesniki batter again and test consistency. If too thick, you may need to add more milk. Best way to test is to put a small amount of mixture on your greased, 7-inch hot skillet. Tip pan so batter is evenly distributed. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, turning over with spatula. Do not brown or over cook as they will lose their pliability. Remove from pan and test. If too thick and don't roll easily, add a little bit of milk. If too thin, add flour. When ready for the rest of the batter, add 1/3 cup of batter to hot pan and repeat procedure with full crepe. Place them on a platter to cool when done. Repeat with the rest of the batter, adding butter to skillet as needed.
4. Assemble crepes. Lay the crepes onto a clean surface and evenly distribute the cheese filling and fresh fruit over the face of the crepes. Option is to add fruit preserves (sour cherry is popular) inside with the sweet farmer's cheese. Then quickly roll up each nalesniki into a thick but tight cigar shape. Place on a plate for serving and add more fresh fruit on top if desired.
5. Prepare Crepe Sauce. Combine the fresh or frozen berries with all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened (about 7 min). If you have less time, feel free to use fruit preserves as the sauce. Pour sauce over crepes and top with whipped cream or powdered sugar.