The Polish love a variety of fish dishes, especially on Christmas Eve. This baked cod recipe is a healthy alternative to fried fish and offers a tad of spices to give it a Mediterranean kick. Baked cod is excellent with some Pierogi on the side! Add a side vegetable and you have a great meal for a casual dinner party.
1. Prepare cod by making sure they are completely defrosted. If you want your fish to always turn out, brine the fish before any recipe (including this one) by soaking them for 20 minutes in a bath of cold water and 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 sugar. For this cod recipe, you can easily let the fish sit in the brine till the rest is ready.
2. Preheat oven to 375.
3. Make the sauce by heating the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, peppers, and cook for only a few minutes to soften vegetables. Do not brown.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients (save 1/2 zucchini for later) to the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Pour a little of the sauce into a shallow earthenware casserole dish. Add the rest of the sliced zucchini on the bottom of the dish to prevent the fish from sticking. Drain fish from brine, pat dry, and place cod on top of sauce. Pour rest of tomato sauce over and around fish.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, check to see if fish is flaky and not translucent. If done, can also sprinkle your favorite cheese on top (aged parmesan cheese is probably the best), and serve!
*Click "Add New Comment" below to leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or Polish Recipes in general. We want your feedback!