Enjoy this Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe year-round! They go great with some potato cheese pierogi on the side for a complete Polish meal. Make sure you use large, firm tomatoes; if available, organic home grown tomatoes are the best for this polish recipe.
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook till golden brown. Do not burn, stir frequently. If you need more oil, add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Add garlic and cook a few minutes.
3. Add beef (or beef/pork combo). Mix and sauté until heated through, about five minutes. Do not brown or dry out.
4. Stir in beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, dill, nutmeg, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and then remove pan from heat.
5. Slice the tops off tomatoes and scoop out the the watery pulp, leaving a 3/4 inch shell. Stuff tomatoes shells with meat mixture and place on baking dish. Pour water around tomatoes (1/4 inch deep). Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until tops of meat mixture are brown. Remove from over, sprinkle with cheese on top, and put back into over for just one minute to melt cheese.
6. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Serve with a side of Pierogi for a complete meal!
*Click "Add New Comment" below to leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or Polish Recipes in general. We want your feedback!