Around the globe, people enjoy crepes--call it placinki, blinchiki, blini, or nalesniki. In Poland, crepes, called nalesniki, are very popular and enjoyed with both sweet and savory fillings. Nalesniki are thin rounds of cooked batter made from eggs and flour. In this Chicken & Mushroom crepe recipe, you can make it with regular flour or whole wheat, we offered both options. They are great for dinner and freeze well. You can add bacon if you would like the added flavor, or simply keep it vegetarian.
Chicken, Mushroom, & Cheese Crepe Recipe (Nalesniki z Kurczakiem i Grzybami)
Nalesniki Sauce (Bechamel Sauce):
HOW TO MAKE NALESNIKI (CREPES) RECIPE
1. Batter: prepare batter for crepes first. Mix 3 eggs, 1.5 cups milk, flour, 1.5 cups water, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tbsp olive oil in a blender for 3 minutes. Cover and rest for 30 minutes while preparing the crepe filling.
2. Nalesniki Filling: Sauté onion (and bacon if using) in olive oil until lightly brown. Turn heat to medium, add garlic and rest of ingredients except cheese. When chicken and mushrooms are cooked, turn heat off, add cheese, mix, and set aside.
3. Make crepes: mix nalesniki batter again and test consistency. If too thick, you may need to add more milk. Best way to test is to put a small amount of mixture on your greased, 7-inch hot skillet. Tip pan so batter is evenly distributed. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, turning over with spatula. Do not brown or over cook as they will lose their pliability. Remove from pan and test. If too thick and don't roll easily, add a little bit of milk. If too thin, add flour. When ready for the rest of the batter, add 1/3 cup of batter to hot pan and repeat procedure with full crepe. Place them on a platter to cool when done. Repeat with the rest of the batter, adding butter to skillet as needed.
4. Assemble crepes. Lay the crepes onto a clean surface and evenly distribute the chicken & cheese filling over the face of the crepes. Then quickly roll up each nalesniki into a thick but tight cigar shape. Lightly butter the bottom of a casserole dish, and carefully arrange the nalesniki next to each other.
5. Prepare Crepe Sauce (Bechamel Sauce). Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook, stirring, until bubbles begin to form. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer, and rest of ingredients. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, stir, and test for taste. Adjust seasonings as needed. Can add extra Swiss or parmagiano-reggiano cheese to sauce.
6. Bake. Pour your favorite sauce over crepes and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese melts.
*Add A comment below, leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or any of our Polish Recipes. We want your feedback!