Polish deserts are some of the best in the world! Try this Polish Chocolate Almond Cake recipe that is low in sugar and happens to be gluten free for those who are sensitive. The key to this Polish cake recipe is to not overcook it since the cake is a little like a brownie and can lose its moisture. You can buy almond paste if it is easier, or use the Polish recipe below. Top with a vanilla-vodka whipped cream.
Polish Chocolate Almond Recipe (Tort czekoladowy)
Almond Paste Filling:
Polish almond cake RECIPE DIRECTIONS
1. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites in two bowls. For the egg whites, beat them together with mixer on high until a stiff peak forms.
2. For egg yolks, mix together with sugar until thick and creamy. Then gently fold in cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and finely ground almonds. Fold together.
2. Gently fold a little of egg whites into the egg yolk mixture to loosen it, then fold in remaining egg whites. It will be hard to mix at first, but just slowly keep adding and it loosens up.
3. Pour blended mixture into two greased and lined 8 inch spring form cake tin pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes on 200, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let it cool in the tin, but it continues to cook so you may want to loosen it a little on the side.
4. While cake is cooling, prepare almond paste filling. Add sugar and water in a heavy pan, then heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and let thicken, but not more than 5 minutes. Stir in the ground almonds and bring to a boil again, but then remove from heat. It will continue to thicken as it cools. But if you boil too long, the paste later becomes dry. Transfer to a bowl and add rest of ingredients. Mix well.
5. Remove cake from tin and place on a nice platter. Spoon almond paste on top and spread evenly. Place second cake on top. Top with whipped cream.
6. Polish Whipped Cream Recipe: blend 1 cup heavy whipping cream on high until thick peak forms. Add 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons Polish vodka or cognac, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix well and serve.
*Add A comment below, leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or any of our Polish Recipes. We want your feedback!