Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but have you ever tried them Polish style with an incredible mushroom gravy on top? You could even enjoy the mushroom gravy by itself, but add some steaming potatoes to it and you have yourself a hit at any dinner table. We even enjoy this Polish recipe as our main side for our Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner!
1. Start on gravy first. Thoroughly wash and dry mushrooms, then slice thinly.
2. Add oil in large frying pan, add onions. Cook until they begin to brown.
3. Add mushrooms, stir and cook for 5 minutes, then add salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme, and broth. After cooked down, add butter and sour cream and flour (sprinkle flour so it does not create chunks, or mix with a little water and then add).
4. Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add dill at the end.
5. Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water for about 10-15 minutes. Cook till tender, but do NOT overcook.
6. Drain water completely and mash potatoes with hand masher or hand blender. Mix with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and (garlic is optional). Add more sour cream if you want it more creamy. Serve with mushroom gravy on top!
"Add New Comment" below to leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or Polish Recipes in general. We want your feedback!