We love Polish Plum Cake, in fact we even planted our own plum tree to easily make plum cake! It is a buttery vanilla cake with a fresh plum topping -- just sweet enough for a light dessert or morning pastry with coffee. In fact, I have two recipes for this plum cake dessert. The first one was a more German variety and this latest plum cake recipe was found while we were visiting family in Poland, made by Tomek's mom. The plum cake in this is a little lighter (less bread like) and she added a vanilla pudding on top--unbelievably good.
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 inch pan, or use parchment paper.
2. In one bowl, cream the butter with sugar, eggs, lemon zest, salt, and vanilla.
4. In a second bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Then beat the flour mixture into the creamed egg yolk mixture until well blended. Cover and set aside in fridge to set.
5. Prepare your favorite vanilla pudding. Feel free to use the packaged version, but make sure it is the kind you cook. You can substitute milk with cream and add one to two eggs to pudding to make it thicker.
6. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Add prepared pudding on top, spread evenly, and top with plums. You can arrange the plums skin side down (cut in half), or if you happen to have a lot of plums and want to use more, you can cut them in fourths and place them in side-ways so more can fit in the dough (we like a lot of fruit so we add as many plums as possible).
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and serve.
*Click "Add New Comment" below to leave a cooking suggestion about this Polish Recipe or Polish Recipes in general. We want your feedback!